Service Academy Nominations
As your Representative in Congress, it is my distinct privilege to nominate candidates for appointment to four of the five United States service academies: the United States Military Academy at West Point (USMA), the United States Naval Academy (USNA), the United States Air Force Academy (USAFA), and the United States Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA). The fifth service academy, the United States Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
Below you will find links to each of the five service academies:
- United States Military Academy - West Point, New York
- United States Naval Academy - Annapolis, Maryland
- United States Air Force Academy - Colorado Springs, Colorado
- United States Merchant Marine Academy - Kings Point, New York
- United States Coast Guard Academy - New London, Connecticut
I am able to nominate up to ten individuals for each vacant slot allotted to Alabama's Second Congressional District. To request a service academy nomination from my office, please complete the form below. If you are pursuing entry to one of the United States service academies and endeavor to serve our country, I would like to offer my sincere gratitude and wish you the very best.
To receive an offer of appointment to the U.S. Military Academy, Naval Academy, Air Force Academy, or Merchant Marine Academy, an individual must (1) apply to the academy or academies of choice, and (2) apply for a nomination from a nominating source.
(1) To begin the application process for the academy/academies of choice, visit the website(s) above, and follow the instructions to apply for an appointment. Please note that an individual can apply to as many service academies as he/she chooses.
(2) In addition to applying to an academy/academies for appointment, you must also receive a nomination from an official nominating source. These sources are the President, Vice President, U.S. Senator, and U.S. Congressman.
To be eligible for a nomination from my office, the following documents are required to complete your application package and must be received in my Montgomery district office no later than 5:00 p.m. CST on Friday, November 8, 2019:
- Your completed Service Academy Nomination Request Form, which can be found below
- A 500-word (maximum) essay stating why you want to attend a service academy
- Official school transcript, which must be mailed directly to my Montgomery office from your school
- Your ACT/SAT scores (may be super-scored)
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Your resume/list of extracurricular activities
- A current photograph (must be at minimum 5x7 but not larger than 8x10)
The last step in the nomination process is an interview with my Service Academy Board. Only students who complete the application packets by the November 8 deadline will be eligible to move forward with an interview.
Please direct questions to my office in Montgomery: (334) 262-7718.