After Swearing-In, Roby Announces Offices are "Open for Business"
Following her swearing-in ceremony, U.S. Congressman Martha Roby announced her offices are officially open for business. In a matter of weeks, Roby has hired a team of experienced staff, set up her offices on Capitol Hill and throughout the district, and taken part in meetings with groups in Alabama’s Second District.
“Since the election on November 2nd, we have been working hard behind the scenes, taking all the steps necessary to hit the ground running in preparation for today,” Roby said. “I’m proud to announce today the team we’ve put together. From the top to the bottom, our number one priority is to fight for conservative values in Washington and assist the people of the Second District.”
Members of Roby’s staff began a series of local meetings this week with local leaders. Staff members met with Mayor Kenneth Boswell of Enterprise, Mayor Mike Schmitz of Dothan, Mayor Todd Strange of Montgomery and Mayor Rick Pate of Lowndesboro.
Roby’s first actions in Congress included speaking during the House floor debate on H.Res. 22 regarding reducing the amount authorized for members’ offices in 2011 and 2012. In addition, she joined with members reading the U.S. Constitution on the House floor and became an official cosponsor of the Balanced Budget Constitutional Amendment.
Roby fielded her staff with experienced and talented individuals that are knowledgeable about public policy and passionate about serving the people of the Second District.
Accordingly, her staff is comprised of individuals that have roots in Alabama, as well as years of experience working on Capitol Hill and in the district for a Member of Congress. To-date, Roby has appointed the following individuals to her staff, effective today:
• Chief of Staff: Stephen Boyd – A native of Birmingham and a graduate of the University of Alabama and the University of Alabama School Of Law, Boyd has served more than six years on the staff of U.S. Sen. Jeff Sessions, serving as senior advisor and Communications Director.
• District Director: Joe Williams – A native of Headland and a graduate of Auburn University, the Cumberland School of Law at Samford University and the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Williams served on the staff of former Congressman Terry Everett for more ten years, acting as a liaison to state and local elected officials, business and community groups, and manger of a range of constituent services in Everett’s district offices.
• Legislative Director: Jennifer Warren - Jennifer received her B.A. from the University of Pennsylvania, and went on to earn a M.G.A and M.A. degree. For more than five years, she served on the staff of three different Republican Members of Congress, including with Congressman Terry Everett as his Legislative Director during the 2008 farm bill. Recently, she was a legislative analyst for the RAND Corporation.
• Senior Policy Advisor: Col Frank W. Barnett, Jr. - A native of Alabama, received his undergraduate degree from the University of Alabama at Birmingham in Computer and Information Sciences and a Master of Education degree from Faulkner University. Col. Barnett has served in the United States Air Force and Alabama Air National Guard for more than 27 years. He has held multiple command and administrative level assignments throughout his diverse military background.
• Communications Director: Brecke Popelka - Popelka, who lived on Maxwell Air Force Base, holds undergraduate and graduate degrees in communications and has served for nearly five years as press secretary for House Republicans.
• Executive Assistant: Jessica Fuller - A native of Mobile, received her undergraduate degree from the University of Alabama and graduate degree in Communication Management from the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Fuller served on the staff of U.S. Sen. Richard Shelby for nearly four years before joining Congressman Martha Roby.
• Legislative Correspondent: Mike Albares – A native of Dothan, Albares is a graduate of the University of Richmond and recently served on the staff of Republican Senator George Voinovich (R-OH).
• Legislative Correspondent: Cara Cramer – A native of Dothan, and a graduate of The University of Alabama, Cramer recently served on the staff of Jim Sensenbrenner, a senior Republican Representative from Wisconsin.
• Staff Assistant: Meghan Stringer – A native of Montgomery and a graduate of the University of Alabama, Stringer played a key role on Roby’s 2010 congressional campaign.
• Field Representative: Ronda Walker – A resident of Montgomery and a graduate of Troy University and the University of Hawaii. Walker previously worked for U.S. Senator Richard Shelby, as well as a local consulting firm engaged in a number of projects representing local citizens, small businesses, and state and local governments.
• Constituent Services Representative (Montgomery District Office) Charlotte Wood – Wood, of Montgomery, is a graduate of Troy University and served eight years on the staff of former Congressman Terry Everett, and most recently worked for the Social Security Administration.
• Constituent Services Representative (Andalusia District Office) Frances Spurlin – A veteran Congressional staffer, Spurlin is a graduate of LSU Banking School and the Sheffield School of Interior Design and brings twenty four years of constituent services experience to the office. She served on the congressional staff of former Congressman William L. (Bill) Dickinson, and most recently, worked with former Congressman Terry Everett. Spurlin is a resident of Opp.
• Constituent Services Representative (Dothan District Office) Sandra Helms – Helms, from Headland, is an experienced Congressional staffer with eighteen years of constituent services experience. She is a graduate of Wallace College and served on the Congressional staff of former Congressman William L. (Bill) Dickinson, and most recently, worked with former Congressman Terry Everett and U.S. Senator Jeff Sessions.
Roby will operate three offices throughout the Second District, located in Andalusia, Dothan, and Montgomery. Business hours for the offices are 9am eastern/8am central Monday to Friday. Each office will be staffed by a full-time professional Constituent Services Representative that will be available to assist constituents on a range of issues, including Social Security and Medicare claims, Veterans Affairs, and other federal issues.
District Office information:
Covington County Office
505 East Three Notch Street
Andalusia City Hall, Room 322
Andalusia, AL 36420
188 North Foster Street
Dothan, AL 36303
22 Monroe Street
Montgomery, AL 36104
Capitol Hill Office
Roby’s Capitol Hill office is located in Room 414 of the Cannon House Office Building.
Roby selected the office in part because of its central location and ease of access for constituents visiting Capitol Hill. The Cannon Building is situated adjacent to the south steps of the United States Capitol. It was completed in 1908 and is the oldest House office building.
The Capitol Hill office can be reached via phone at (202) 225-2901. As of January 5, Roby’s on-line office is available at www.roby.house.gov, and includes legislative updates, press releases, and numerous resources and services for Second District constituents.
For tour requests, please contact Meghan Stringer at (202) 225-2901. For media inquiries please contact Brecke Popelka at (202) 225-2901.