888 days since the Senate has passed a budget
Today marks the 888th day since the Senate has passed a budget. According to a CBS News poll, 73 percent of Americans think our country is on the wrong track. Considering the nation’s historically high 9.1 percent unemployment rate and crushing $14.7 trillion debt, my House Republican Freshmen colleagues and I believe they’re right.
In January 2011, 87 men and women representing a variety of geographic, economic and professional backgrounds came to Washington carrying a message from the American people that it was time to turn our economy around and preserve the American dream for generations to come. Since then, our Republican freshman class has worked with our colleagues in the House to pass more than a dozen pieces of legislation that work to spur job growth, eliminate regulatory barriers, reduce the nation’s debt, and enact a balanced budget amendment.
While House Republicans have honored their commitment to get America’s fiscal house in order and get Americans back to work, the Senate leadership has failed to do the same as the following bills have stalled in the Senate.
In order to turn our economy around, we need the Senate to join us in our efforts to get America back on the right track. That’s why today we are launching “Operation Turnaround,” which is a call to action, appealing to our colleagues in the Senate to pass a budget and bring the following House-passed, pro-growth bills to a vote:
- H.R. 2560, The Cut, Cap and Balance Act
- H.R. 872, Reducing Regulatory Burdens Act
- H.R. 910, The Energy Tax Prevention Act
- H.J. Res. 37, Disapproval of FCC’s Net Neutrality Regulations
- H.R. 2018, The Clean Water Cooperative Federalism Act
- H.R. 1315, Consumer Financial Protection & Soundness Improvement Act
- H.R. 2587, Protecting Jobs From Government Interference Act
- H.R. 1230, Restarting American Offshore Leasing Now Act
- H.R. 1229, Putting the Gulf of Mexico Back to Work Act
- H.R. 1231, Reversing President Obama’s Offshore Moratorium Act
- H.R. 2021, The Jobs and Energy Permitting Act of 2011
- H.R. 1938, North American-Made Energy Security Act
It has been 888 days since the U.S. Senate has passed a budget. The time to act is now. With 14 million Americans out of work and millions more underemployed, we can’t afford to waste another day.